Event 1

Space shuttle repurposed

For my first event, I went to the Museum of Jurassic Technology. Although the museum appeared small from the outside, it contained artworks, reclics, and creations across different time periods that sparked my curiosities. The theme of each exhibit was mysterious as it was a challenge for me to create a category for it because compare to larger museums, there is always a title/name for each of its exhibits. There were two exhibits that caught my attention. First, I was amazed by the exhibit where I could see a mosaic depicting a bouquet of flowers when viewing through a microscope. Relating to week 1 materials of two cultures, this creation is representative of the third culture because the creator utilized both science and art to construct his mosaic. In addition, it made me questioned the definition of an artist: can scientists be artists and can artists be scientists? Although I am not too sure of the answer, I think that artists and scientists can be collectively called visionaries––individuals who advance society through their authentic creations.


Another exhibit that was memorable was the four depictions of excerpts from the bible using three-dimensional models and light reflections from mirrors. Viewing each depiction through a pair of lens made the artwork come alive. I personally experienced the product of math and art and how math can influence art because to craft each model, the artist must know how to manipulate light rays to create a 3D depiction. 

Entrance
I would recommend this museum to my classmates. Not only it is easily accessible to UCLA students for its close proximity, each exhibit would spark one’s curiosity as she would attempt to connect the dots to identify the theme of this natural history museum. Although I noticed many biblical elements, gothic elements, and science-inspired elements, it is still really hard to pinpoint a theme for it. Overall, the layout of the Museum of Jurassic Technology is an artwork itself; visitors will remain to be intrigued from the moment they walk through the large metal door entrance to their close encounter with pigeons in the outdoor garden on the second floor. (I was quite scared when a pigeon flew right past my shoulder.) To me, as I walked through the green metal door, I felt like I had entered a world similar to the one in Alice in the Wonderland––unpredictability at its finest.
Left: Pigeon
Right: Frightened Alivia trying to smile

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2: Math + Art

Week 8: Nanotechnology & Art

Event 3: The Postgenomic Condition